Re: Word setup for manual

Subject: Re: Word setup for manual
From: A Watkins <awatkins -at- POBOX -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 12:49:24 -0500

Lori Smith wrote:

> E.T. Hull wrote:
> > Some of you talk about a "master document". What does it include and is it
> > handy for this kind of manual?
>
> Even Microsoft advises avoiding master docs in Word. If you have a
> decent machine, I'd advise putting it all in one doc. We do it all the
> time, even for 200-500 pagers.

I agree with Lori, but I'd add a strong caveat. If your manual contains
lots
of tables, graphics, or other special formatting, you're probably
setting
yourself up for some heartache down the line. Avoid MS Weird if you
can!
Use a desktop publisher (like FrameMaker) instead of a word processor
for a
project of this size and complexity. Or put your earplugs in and get
ready
for the crash!

Alfred Watkins
Technical Writer, Software Engineering, GTech Texas
mailto:awatkins -at- pobox -dot- com