Re: HTML and PDF files

Subject: Re: HTML and PDF files
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 12:11:51 -0700

Rikki Mitman wrote:
>There seems to be a marked preference for HTML over PDF, and I'm
>wondering why. My experience with each is admittedly limited; however,
>since PDF files preserve your formatting and present consistently (not
>according to browser settings), it seems like that would be the better
>choice. What gives?

Better choice for whom??? ;-) Stop and think a minute...

PDF preserves your formatting, yes. So it presents documents online
just as they would appear on paper. But online delivery is different
from paper delivery, so what works on paper does not necessarily
work well online.

HTML forces you to relinquish control of the reader's desktop. It
gives control over font, basic font size, color, etc. to the user.
So, big surprise -- users like to control their own environments.

Additionally, so many computer users are familiar with browsers
now that HTML docs offer a familiar and comfortable interface.

I hear lots of writers lamenting the current trend toward HTML --
loss of functionality, they say... loss of control... a big step
backward. But what's a step backward for us is a step forward for
our user communities. Clearly, they're finally taking a stand in
their own behalf and we need to deal with that by recognizing that
we *can* relinquish some control and still deliver a message
effectively.

Just a thought...

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com