TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
>> There is, however, a problem, if you are using Acrobat Distiller in
>> Windows 95. If you generate a PDF file from a Postscript file, where the
>> original document contained Truetype fonts, the resulting PDF file will
>> not be searchable, because the Truetype fonts are stored as outlines
>> only. To create a PDF file with searchable text you need ATM fonts.
>I've heard this before; however, we have tested and found this to be untrue
>least in our experience). We use True Type fonts, FrameMaker 5.1.2 for
>Acrobat Distiller, and Postscript. We also completely removed ATM from all
>tech comm PCs.
I don't know about the search problem, but my experience with True Types is
that the resultant pdf file is virtually unreadable -- the fonts look like
some kind of chicken scratches, and a sick chicken at that. And then I can't
even fix 'em with Exchange because Exchange can't find 'em. I have to use
ATM fonts to get everything to work right.