Re: ATM vs. TrueType

Subject: Re: ATM vs. TrueType
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 08:45:19 -0400

Phil Wilkerson said [re: ATM required for searchable PDFs]:

<snip>

> >I've heard this before; however, we
>>have tested and found this to be untrue
> >(at least in our experience). We use
>>True Type fonts, FrameMaker 5.1.2 for
> >Win95, Acrobat Distiller, and Postscript.
>>We also completely removed ATM from
> >all our tech comm PCs.

<end of snip>

And Chris Perleberg replied:

> I don't know about the search problem,
>but my experience with True Types is
> that the resultant pdf file is virtually
>unreadable -- the fonts look like
> some kind of chicken scratches, and a
>sick chicken at that. And then I can't
> even fix 'em with Exchange because
>Exchange can't find 'em. I have to use
> ATM fonts to get everything to work right.

Likewise, in our experience, we have found this to be untrue as well. Our PDFs
are beautifully legible. We used version 2.1 and are using 3.0 of Acrobat
Distiller, without ATM, and get great results. In fact, we don't even put the
ATM program on our hard drives anymore.

I don't understand how some shops get great results from Acrobat and others get
lousy results, but we've used Adobe Tech Support a few times, and they've
always helped us tweak and refine the program's settings. They've never made an
issue out of the fact that we aren't using ATM.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Phillip C. Wilkerson
Technical Communications Manager