R: AVI Video and WinHelp

Subject: R: AVI Video and WinHelp
From: Alessandro Bottoni <albo -at- CADLAB -dot- IT>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:43:20 +0200

Matt wrote:

"Using AVI Video in WinHelp?
I am immensely curious to learn why anyone would want to do that!

What type of *real-world* project would require you to imbed AVIs in
WinHelp? And not use a specialized presentation tool instead?

My perspective has been that it is technically feasible but entirely
unpractical to imbed multimedia into WinHelp. Am I wrong?"

I had the same feeling about AVI in Winhelp or HTML - Help documents. The fact is that we have to document a complex CAD program. It is unpractical to describe every single step needed to reach a particular results. It is far easier to show the entire sequence to the user by using a small AVI.

Just to have an example, try to see this one:

UGUIDE.EXE

It is an addiction to the standard Windows 95 on-line-help and uses AVI.

You can find it (by using some search engine) at several Windows 95 related sites (www.32bit.com, for example).

Sandro