Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 17:26:23 -0400

Compelled to add my $0.02 today...

I've got a degree in Prof Writing. Everything
practical I learned about writing, I learned on
the job. However, my degree did get me in the
door, particularly when the manager was not a
writer. (Lucky for them, I'm a good writer and
it worked out ;) So, it's a good marketing tool.

Lately, I've been interviewing. I've been marveling
at the variety of backgrounds (Phys Ed, Music, Physics,
Comp Sci, Philosophy, Folk Lore, Writing, etc.).
The actual degree a person had didn't make a bit of
difference in my evaluation. They needed to show
me that they could write and comprehend/communicate
complex information.

A.
--
Alexia Prendergast