Re: How does one overcome... -Reply

Subject: Re: How does one overcome... -Reply
From: Christine Fedruk <CFED44 -at- CBOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 13:14:47 -0500

Barry Kieffer wrote:
>>If you are ever asked:
"What could a female actually know about tech. writing and
computers?" not stated but thought objection???

RUN AWAY!
YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK THERE!<<

Pat & Barry,
Me, I'd rather fight than run... and I really enjoy running. :-)

My impulse is to use this situation as a learning experience for the sadly
misguided person. When prejudice of any kind shows up and good
people say nothing, walls stay up a lot longer. It's true, I probably DON'T
want to work with that person, but I'd kick myself later if I didn't *at least*
say "I don't see how my gender is an issue here..." and refocus on my
credentials. Handled properly, they won't feel any more uncomfortable
than their initial comment/attitude made you feel. Fair's fair.

If you feel strongly about it, speak up and prove them wrong. You might
not win friends, change minds, or inspire a "kumbaya" sing-along, but you
will have acted with integrity and won't feel like a doormat. Works for me.

My $.02,
Christine
Chicago, IL