Re: Reuse of text/modular information

Subject: Re: Reuse of text/modular information
From: Emily Leavitt/Shiva Corporation <ebetters -at- SHIVA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:04:38 EDT

Geoff Wrote:

>Reusing text ("modular information") is a great
>productivity booster for creating the _first draft_ of a
>manual or online help system, but that's all it ever is.
>First, context always changes somewhat, and you have to
>analyze the final text for each delivery medium to
>determine how well it's really going to work. Second, it's
>ridiculously easy to screw up something created using
>modular information through basic human carelessness.

I disagree. My company uses modular format, and have been successful with it.
There is information that can be reused in every project....no mater what.
This helps a lot when you are doing HTML conversions. There has been times
where I only needed to convert 70% of the modules instead of the full set of
modules. That cuts production time a lot.

All the best,
Emily Leavitt
Shiva Corporation