Offensive symbols

Subject: Offensive symbols
From: "Scott J. Wilson" <sjw -at- TIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:13:02 -0700

Our documentation team has gotten feedback that the "thumb's up" symbol
used in one of our products is offensive in Australia. (If anyone can
confirm or refute this, could you e-mail me privately.)

I'm wondering if anyone has familiarity with William Horton's "The Icon
Book", and, if so, does it address problems of this nature (symbols meaning
different things in different cultures)?

Thanks,

Scott Wilson
sjw -at- tis -dot- com