Re: Gender Issues

Subject: Re: Gender Issues
From: Paul Baechler <bachp -at- HIWAAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 01:19:44 -0600

On 8/14/97 8:45 AM Williams, Diane (contractor) wrote:

>>> [Do] you think it is OK to change texts/quotes to avoid using the
> generic "he"?<<
>No, not if it's a direct quote of something well-known. But I do
>appreciate Jean-Luc Picard's change in attitude of space exploration
>over James T. Kirk's: "To boldly go where no one has gone before."

It's a change of meaning, not a change of attitude. Kirk's "man" referred
to the inhabitants of Earth, Homo Sapiens, and the statement so phrased
was generally true. If Picard is going where no one has gone before, why
does he keep encountering inhabited planets?

Paul Baechler Most people will rather die than think.-
bachp -at- hiwaay -dot- net Langewiesche

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at