(long) responses re: ITWG

Subject: (long) responses re: ITWG
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 18:12:55 -0400

Hi, all,

I've gotten more responses than I expected so far about the
proposed International Technical Writers Group (ITWG)! This
is great!

I've also had some folks ask some very good questions. I'm
working on a beta release this weekend (an exciting Saturday
night ;-), but wanted to briefly address some of the questions.

1. "Reading the description, I don't see anything we can't do from
within the STC...." and "One question that any such organization
will have to repeated answer [implicitly or explicitly] is 'What will
this group do that the STC's International Communication SIG...
cannot do -- or do as well.' What's your take on that?"

I'm a member of the STC and definitely feel like I get my money's
worth. However, not everyone is a member of the STC. The ITWG
is available to anyone. Also, the STC can't do *everything* --
they simply don't have the time or resources. Maybe ITWG and
STC can complement each other by working on different projects
rather than trying to duplicate work? What do you all think?

2. "I wonder whether Alexia and others are aware of a group that has
existed for many years called INTECOM (International Council of
Technical Communication). INTECOM is, for lack of a better analogy,
like a United Nations of technical communication organizations
worldwide. The STC is a member, as are many other technical
communication organizations from many other countries. Alexia's
proposed charter is strikingly similar to that of INTECOM, which
leads me to wonder whether it might be more useful to merge your
energies with an already established group to make it better??"

No, I wasn't aware of it, actually. (Which makes me wonder "Why not?
I'm fairly tuned in.") I'll answer the question with a question to the
folks
who are interested in participating -- how should we distinguish
ourselves?
(Sounds like we might want to eventually be a member of INTECOM?)
Again, can't we compliment them? Or would it not make sense?

3. "As I read the "Our plans",it's a strong to-do list."

Yes, it is -- and even I'm not so ambitious that I suggest we do
everything right away ;-) These are ideas that Alessandro and I
came up with and are definitely subject to change, depending
on how practical they are, what's already been done, and which
items have a higher priority. These are all things for the group
to discuss and decide.

4. "what languages are you planning to use for the web
site? How are they to be chosen?"

I suspect this will depend on who volunteers to translate. Any
thoughts from anyone?

5. " 'Help newcomers get started by sharing our knowledge and
experience.' I'd even go so far as to add that this will introduce a
certain notion of quality in future documentation (a la avoid recreating
the wheel syndrome)."

I agree -- That's one of the items that really excites me.
Everything I know today is the result of either learning
from an experienced tech writer or from trial and error.
The latter is much more painful!

6. "The acronym listings: but how will they be controlled and
maintained? Who
will be the deciding authorities?"

Sounds like a good topic for discussion -- any ideas from anyone?

7. "What about the indexers, I feel they are unfairly and severely
overlooked in our industry. Will indexers fit into the ITWG's
international preoccupations? I think there is a need to cover
indexing issues carefully and not just treat them as a tedious
addition to the tasks of tech writers. It is a subject that I really
am concerned about AND WILL VOLUNTEER TO CHAMPION
FOR THE ITWG if you would let me (of course, I'd need your input
and advice as to the best ways of going about accomplishing such
an ambitious task :-)"

Hmmm. I had overlooked them. I'll open this one up to the group, too.
Any suggestions from anyone? Can any professional indexers out there
suggest what needs we can fill with the ITWG?

Back to working on my beta release... Thanks again for everyone's
thoughtful questions and suggestions -- I look forward to hearing
more.

Alexia

PS. Also, Wolfgang Schapat passed on information about a list that
some of you might be interested in: Mailing List for freelancing and
telecommuting Technical writers. t-telcom -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org -dot-
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer