Re[4]: Master/Slave

Subject: Re[4]: Master/Slave
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 13:52:10 -0500

I got a better idea. Anyone got Herbie Hancock's email address? Let's
ask him! The context cannot be for just the creators of technology
and terminology, it must be for all potential users as well.

Then we cannot write anything at all, because everything we write will
offend someone, recall a bad experience for someone, or just in general bum
someone out.

We definitely have a responsibility to avoid offending rational people. But
we have to draw a line somewhere. At some point we have to say with Tricia
MacMillian, "We have Normality. Anything you still cannot handle is
therefore Your Own Problem."

Personally, I think we've reached that point when we begin to impose human
emotional baggage upon correctly described mechanical relationships. If the
relationship between a couple of hard drives makes you break out in tears
or a cold sweat, perhaps getting that computer working again isn't your
biggest problem at the moment.

(BTW, for those who find "male/female" connectors a problem, the industry
has an equally long tradition of "pin/socket." In this particular case, I
think P/S is actually the longer established naming convention, but M/F is
more titilating, and has risen that tide to its current level. It's not
unusual that the industry rejects the original name in favor of a less
aesthetic popular alternative. Anyone else remember the early days when we
were all urged to pronounce SCSI as "sexy" before "scuzzy" finally won the
day?)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224