Revision Numbering

Subject: Revision Numbering
From: "Andrews, Doug" <doug -dot- andrews -at- GS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:55:06 -0400

I'm looking for a formal means of keeping track of document revisions in
our programming department. Most of the 100+ documents are WORD
documents (anywhere from 10 to 120 pages) accessed via an Intranet.

My question: Is there a *definitive* technical writing source that deals
with questions such as:

+ What determines the version number in a document? Changes in the
program or object being documented, or changes (corrections, etc.) in
the document itself?

+ When changes are made to the initial version of a document, does the
document's version number become "Rev. 1.2" or "Rev. 2.0"?

+ Should a date be included in the header info. as well as a version
number?

+ How are users best notified of changes to a document? Via an errata
page, change bars, etc.?

Doug Andrews
doug -dot- andrews -at- gs -dot- com