questions about professional tech writing

Subject: questions about professional tech writing
From: Jonathan Soukup <jjs4315 -at- UNIX -dot- TAMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 17:52:59 -0500

I am a senior Agricultural Journalism major at Texas A&M University and I
will finish my degree this December. In the last year my interests have
shifted from agriculture to computer/internet-related subjects. Someone
suggested to me that I look for a job in the technical writing field.
This way I could further explore computer technology, etc. Writing has
never been a problem for me, but I'm wondering how potential employers
will look upon my resume. I have worked semi-professionally as a
journalist and have a portfolio that most undergrad students would die
for. I've also worked as a student webmaster
(http://reslife.tamu.edu/webmasters/) for almost a year now and
have aquired more computing skills than I though I would ever need as a
journalist. Does it sound like I have a decent shot at finding a job as a
technical writer? What basic skills will an employer be looking for? Am I
totally out of my league? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jonathan Soukup
jjs4315 -at- unix -dot- tamu -dot- edu
Texas A&M University