Re: questions about professional tech writing

Subject: Re: questions about professional tech writing
From: Stephanie Holland <SLHOLLAND -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 17:58:44 -0600

Jonathan, your experience sounds great. I have a journalism degree and
worked at newspapers for seven years before I decided that I'd had
enough. I always wondered what I could do with my journalism degree once
I got out of newspapers, but now I realize that what I learned as a
journalist is partly what helps me succeed at my job in the technical
communication field.

I manage a technical communication group at a company that makes
computers. Here are some things I looked for when I hired technical
writers:

* exceptional writing and editing skills
* great knowledge of desktop publishing and design
* curiosity, tenacity, assertiveness
* ability to successfully manage multiple projects
* ability to independently learn new software and technology

The writers learned RoboHelp, FrameMaker, HTML, JavaScript, HTML Help,
etc. after they were hired. If a potential employer says she needs
someone who knows FrameMaker and you don't know it, tell her you know
you can learn it because you already know PageMaker, Quark, or whatever.
Sell her on the skills you do have and give specific examples of how
your skills are similar to what she seeks.

I think employers will be attracted by your journalism degree, work
experience, portfolio, computer knowledge, and HTML skills. You might
try looking for jobs in Information Technology (IT) departments, which
are also called Information Systems. I work in one and I love it -- it's
fast-paced, the pay and training opportunities are often higher than in
other departments that hire technical writers, and the job prospects are
terrific. The trade magazines say IT is a great place to be right now.

You could also join your local chapter of the Society for Technical
Communication (I think students get a discount rate) to network and gain
opportunities to do some computer-related writing. STC's web site is at
http://www.stc-va.org/home.html.

Good luck!

Stephanie Holland
Micron Electronics