Re: Superscripted text

Subject: Re: Superscripted text
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 08:10:38 -0500

>Please give me your feedback on displaying superscripted text in a
>manual and online help. I am documenting a software product called,
>let's say, Software 32. The marketing/sales types superscript the
>numerals (32) and precede them with a non-breaking space.

I'd say that if the product is named with a superscript, that's the
way you should use it in the documents. We have a product
called the InSpector, which is a (sort of) pun: the software
"inspects" something and displays a spectrum of the data
it gathers. It may seem odd to put a capital in the middle
of a word, but if that's what marketing wants, that's what
marketing gets.

For personal opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd
rather save my energy to fight gross misuse of English and/or
rampant ambiguity.