PDF xxx in screens

Subject: PDF xxx in screens
From: Sonja Draeger <sdraeger -at- NORMAN -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 15:01:54 +1100

Hi All,

I've briefly checked the archives (search isn't working) and can't find a fix for this problem, so here goes:

I have screen captures in .wmf that I import to Word97. I make them grayscale, then convert the file to .pdf. When they get to .pdf, although they print great, they look disgusting on the screen. I have rows and rows of little xxxxxxs wherever the screen is gray. The font is all blotchy and bumpy, like some part of the letters are bold and some are not. I have to view the .pdf file at about 200% before you can actually read the text.

I've tried .bmps. I've tried .tiffs. I've tried using Paint Shop Pro to decrease the color depth the 16 colors. I've tried different Job Option compression settings in Adobe Distiller. Deep sigh ... any idea why the look so bad on screen?

Sonja
sdraeger -at- norman -dot- com -dot- au