Trends for Technical Communicators

Subject: Trends for Technical Communicators
From: "Morris, Michael" <MORRIS -at- COTR -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:22:57 -0700

Nancy Burns asked for comments on her message re the trends for Technical Communicators...

I agree with her observation that writers have to continually "enlighten the decision makers" over and over again. When I started in the newspaper game, the technology was the manual typewriter, and I had to learn to type overnight .I hadn't learned to to type because little girls took typing and little boys took Latin (no sexist reference intended; that's the reality from 40 odd years ago)

I never really bothered myself with the tools. They've constantly changed and somehow I've adapted. Let's always focus on telling the story, constantly striving to communicate effectively to an audience. Let's enlighten and entertain.

After all these years of doing and teaching writing for all purposes, I still firmly believe writers write and rewrite!

Michael
(the views here are my own)

Michael J. Morris
Canadian Institute for New Media, Research and Development
College of the Rockies
morris -at- cotr -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://mediavision.cotr.bc.ca