Re: Dummies books and more on "Idiot Audience"

Subject: Re: Dummies books and more on "Idiot Audience"
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:21:08 -0800

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:25:10 -0700, Eric J. Ray wrote:

>Dummies books handle audience analysis partially through
>self-selection--an expert or purported expert won't buy them--
>and partially through assuming _nothing_ but doing so in a
>__NON-patronizing__ manner. Cover aside, there's nothing
>patronizing about the content or presentation.

Eric, I think this bears repeating.

>Dummies books handle audience analysis partially through
>self-selection--an expert or purported expert won't buy them--
>and partially through assuming _nothing_ but doing so in a
>__NON-patronizing__ manner. Cover aside, there's nothing
>patronizing about the content or presentation.

>Dummies books handle audience analysis partially through
>self-selection--an expert or purported expert won't buy them--
>and partially through assuming _nothing_ but doing so in a
>__NON-patronizing__ manner. Cover aside, there's nothing
>patronizing about the content or presentation.

>Dummies books handle audience analysis partially through
>self-selection--an expert or purported expert won't buy them--
>and partially through assuming _nothing_ but doing so in a
>__NON-patronizing__ manner. Cover aside, there's nothing
>patronizing about the content or presentation.

Nuff said. These series of books seem to have used the concept of "know
thy audience" as both a gospel and as a floor mat... and struck paydirt.

Heck, I'll admit it, I picked up Networking For Dummies (hey, it was on
sale for $6). I actually found some useful information in it, some very
concise and clear descriptions of things I knew but could probably never
articulate for anyone else, and found many of the descriptions and
side-notes very funny... which for someone with my warped sense of humor
is reason enough to buy the book :-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>