Specifications

Subject: Specifications
From: Robyn Hume <RobynH -at- XANTREX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:36:52 -0800

Our tech writing department is making yet another effort to get the
programmers and engineers at our manufacturing company to write
Requirements and Specifications documents. We have a new project in the
works with a partner in Austrailia ( We are in Canada). Two developers
are working in two continents and no one is using any written
requirements or specifications.
I have given them some samples of software and hardware specs and want
to develop a template for the company to follow.
I am having trouble accessing the techwr archives and so my questions
are:

1. Would anyone care to share some favorite software/hardware spec
contents and samples, Functional or otherwise .
2. Does anyone have any suggestions as to dealing with stubborn project
leaders who don't seem to think these are important . I have tried the
"legal liability" argument and the "we need them to write the manual"
argument but to little avail.