Re: Boolean or boolean

Subject: Re: Boolean or boolean
From: "M. Dannenberg" <midannen -at- SI -dot- BOSCH -dot- DE>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:02:35 +0100

Sean Fitzpatrick schrieb:

When your engineering buddies say that only liberal arts majors capitalize
Boolean, tell them that's why liberal arts majors are hired.

That was probably another wrong turn.  We should have insisted that engineers
design products that help us do what WE want to do, do it easily, and don't
need documentation.  But we didn't, so we still have products that reflect the
perverted, introverted, graceless, gadget-happy conglomeration of tics and
idiosyncrasies that pass for personality among engineers, but we don't have to
let them soil our documentation with their techie-mumbo jargon (see
http://stc.org/region2/phi/n&v/gram1196.html).

Well said, Sean! The other day I saw a guy carrying his own "customised" briefcase. He had fitted his own shoulder strap and a special mounting bracket on the outside for his umbrella, and it had day-glo patches all around. Needless to ask what the guy does for a living.

Anyway, ... hohum... (desperately trying to veer back on topic) developers always seem to be very willing to believe in rulebooks, so if you can show them a source that says capitalise, they'll probably buy it. In my experience, whenever I say I'd do something because it's my intuition or judgement or design decision, the geeks tend to think "there, these woolly-headed artsy types, all they can do is waffle". If, on the other hand I say "we have to do it that way becuase it says so in my rulebook" everybody just nods and happily accepts whatever I tell them.

Mike

--
Mike Dannenberg
ETAS GmbH & Co.KG