Re: Previous Salary

Subject: Re: Previous Salary
From: Chris Tonjes <ctonjes -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:38:25 -0500

>Dan...it is unfortunate that it happened to you, but to be honest, I
>don't see where anyone was victimized. You cannot blame a company for
>trying to get the lowest price just you or I would try for the highest
>rate. You even admit they were willing to pay 33 reluctantly. Just
>that alone tells me that price was a major issue and getting a low price
>on a rate was a priority.

With all due respect, you are wrong. It's doubtful that the agency provided
the $22 an hour writer to their client for significantly less than Dan's
rate. What's more likely is they pocketed the difference. Perhaps the $22 an
hour writer finished the job and produced an OK product. But it's more
likely that Dan would have done a better job.

My feeling (born out of personal experience with agencies) is that most of
them won't pick the best candidates to submit to their clients, acting
instead out of self interest.

It's important to be firm and aggressive when negotiating with these folks.
Most of them have a sales background and treat your services like any other
retail item: they want to buy low and sell high.
(And yes, I've heard how they market us and pay us, etc. etc. etc.)

>We gotta stop taking this stuff personal.

Wrong also. Those who make a career out of contracting should take this
stuff very personal.