Re: [Fwd: Interns needed at Seer Technologies, Inc.] (fwd)

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Interns needed at Seer Technologies, Inc.] (fwd)
From: Karen Kay <karen -at- WORDWRITE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 00:37:00 -0800

Martin, Chuck said:
> On Thursday, December 11, 1997 1:44 PM, Melissa Alton
> [SMTP:maalton -at- UNITY -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU] wrote:
> > What do you guys think of this one??? Another offering $10 an hour???
> > Who can live on that??
> You're not expected to live on the money that you make as an intern;
> internships are generally for class credit. Not only do you pay for the
> credit hours, but some internships in some fields are non-paid.

The difficulty in living on an internship is what decided me not to
even look for an internship when I was changing careers to tech
writing. It seemed simpler to just get jobs; I needed the money to
live on.

> For college students used to seeing $5-6/hour jobs on campus, $10/hour
> seems like an awful lot. I know.

The problem is that not all would-be interns are college students.

> Internships not only provide valuable work experience, but often sample
> production work, which has more effect in a portfolio than student
> projects.

So does real work.:)

Karen
karen -at- wordwrite -dot- com