Oracle terminology

Subject: Oracle terminology
From: Susan Vineyard <VINEYSX -at- MAPCOINC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:13:46 -0500

Thank you, everyone who responded to my RoboHelp questions earlier. My
current question pertains to the same project-online help for a new
software program. I am new at software documentation and have lots of
questions.

I am writing on-line help for a program being developed in Oracle. To
start with, I was furnished with a list of Oracle terminology, which
included forms, zones, and fields. The documentation already finished uses
these terms, so I did the same thing, only to discover that a zone is
invisible to the user, and there are also columns of fields that need
names. The terms were so confusing that the previous documentation was
using them erratically. Overall, I found that the programmer terms just
don't work for a non-programmer user.

Oracle obviously prides itself on it's non-standard terminology. Is there
some standardized user terminology I could use to make my documentation
understandable to my readers? Thanks for any advice out there.

Susan Vineyard

vineysx -at- tulnotes1 -dot- mapcoinc -dot- com