Re: possessives [Ref:C674416]

Subject: Re: possessives [Ref:C674416]
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:49:40 -0600

> I think what we must have here is a difference in definitions. Generally
> speaking, a couple of centuries would be 200 years. That's a far cry from
> 500 to 900 years (12th to 15th centuries). However, I can understand the
> confusion. Someone near and dear to me views a couple as anything from
> about 2 to 10, whereas I (being much more of an annoying stickler) see a
> couple as 2, a few as 3 to 5, and several as about 6 to 12.

Once again I am shocked at my own ignorance. I use the same definitions
as John and it never occured to me that not everybody thinks of a couple
as 2 (especially since another definition of "a couple" is "two
people"). Perhaps I should ask someone near and dear to me what *he*
thinks it means... is it a generational difference? Regional?
International?

Tracy
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm