Re: staff consultants

Subject: Re: staff consultants
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:54:53 EST

In a message dated 98-01-26 10:27:15 EST, Emily -at- INTERWORLD -dot- COM writes:

<<
I was wondering if anybody out there has had any experience as a "staff"
consultant.>>
I was a staff consultant at a big bank for almost five years (they had an internal consulting group.)
<< XYZ gives the opportunity of working on or off-site>>
I wouldn't count on the latter....
< -- 1.) Is this a good step for someone who has no experience consulting
but wants to ultimately go completely freelance at some point?>>
Absolutely. If they're any good at all, you'll get some training in client issues and you'll also learn about organizational issues (estimates, reporting, etc.) that will make you that much more professional when you're on your own.

<< 2.) What is a good approximation of salary for a staff consultant? >>
Depends immensely on region. Range in the 80's for New York was about $30,000-$50,000, I'd guess-timate.
You can be sure it'll be less than what you make on your own, for whatever level.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval