Re: Usage: 1st Person and Passive Voice

Subject: Re: Usage: 1st Person and Passive Voice
From: "Steven N. Gotler" <sngotler -at- RUST -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:01:55 -0500

I disagree with the author. I have not done a thesis on writing. But I am a
writer. My livelihood depends on my ability to communicate effectively
(note I did not say "My ability to communicate effectively is dependent on
my livelihood"). I think the author's research has focused on obsolete
issues and encourages technical writers to be lazy and sloppy. Passive
voice is problematic in technical and scientific writing for many reasons.
Here are a few.

Passive voice is an inefficient and outdated form of communication. It
requires long, akward and indirect semantics to avoid the implication that
things "do" or "act". Writing is a transfer of information. Writers should
transfer that information as clearly and efficiently as possible. They
should forget outmoded and unimportant "rules". Readers have neither the
time nor the inclination to resolve assumptions and untangle jumbles of
anachronistic phrases. Besides, people interact with machines on such a
personal level today, that they probably DO think of these "things" as
doing, acting and possessing. A program can "let" or "help" me calculate
mortgage payments. It doesn't have to "enable me to" calculate them.

Which leads me to the other problem. Passive voice is also inherently
ambiguous, and thus dangerous. Without adding even more unnecessary and
convoluted phrases to every sentence, passive voice assumes the reader
knows who is doing what, where things are going, and why. That is dangerous
in technical and scientific writing, which require precise communication. A
cpu can transfer data to the hard drive. I don't have time for data that
"is" transferred "by" the cpu "to" the hard drive, or worse yet, data that
is transferred to the hard drive, period (by what?).

Passive voice still has a place in many forms of communication. In
literature, it stimulates the reader's imagination by remaining ambiguous
until the bitter end of a long sentence. In casual conversation (a TWO-way
exchange), the speaker can more safely assume what the other knows. But in
writing, the reader cannot interact with the speaker. It is risky for the
writer to assume what the reader knows and understands. Which would you
rather see in the middle of a 300-page user's guide at 2:00 in the
afternoon when food-coma is imminent: "The data is saved by the user after
clicking the button labelled 'Transfer'" or "Click 'Transfer' to save your
data"? I know which one is more likely to induce it.

Why do I care? Because I am sick of muddling through poorly written and
awkwardly phrased sentences in technical, scientific and legal literature
(have you ever read a patent claim?). It often takes as much time to
unscramble the meaning of a paragraph as it does to read the text. No one
has time anymore for these outdated notions of man vs machine, humans vs.
animals, etc. Tell your reader what they NEED to know. Clarity and
efficiency should be the paramount concern. I don't care what someone 400
years ago thought was the proper way to write. We live a different world
today. We are certainly writing about different things.

Get with the 20th century. Or, maybe I just need to be in psycholinguistic
therapy.

S. Gotler
A technical writer who probably needs to get out more often.