Product Guides for Sales Reps

Subject: Product Guides for Sales Reps
From: Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:19:41 PST

Dear fellow 'whirlers,

I've searched the archives but didn't find anything that fit my
situation, so here goes:

Background:
I am the Lone Tech Writer in the Product Management group of a
telecommunications company. Our group serves as a resource for our
Account Executives in the field offices. As part of their training, our
AE's are presented with Product Guides for each product. The guides
include (in varying degrees) product descriptions, FAQ's, pricing and
packaging, compensation/promo plans, applications, process flows, and so
forth.

Problem:
Each of the guides was written by a different Product Manager with
varying amounts of information. Some guides are rich with technical,
detailed information, while others are just a few pages of product
description and contact information. It is my mission in life to
standardize all of the Product Guides both for style and content.

Now I am writing a brief e-mail survey (no more than 5-10 questions) to
all of the Account Executives asking them what *they* want in their
Product Guides, and what kind of structure would be most useful to them.
I know that the main purpose of the guides is to educate the AE's about
the products. I also know that the AE's are hungry for
consistent, useable documentation.

If anyone on the list has written a survey for a similar audience or
situation, I'd appreciate any ideas for good questions.

Please respond to me off list.

TIA,
Cheryle
cjwiese -at- hotmail -dot- com