Re: Writing for on-line

Subject: Re: Writing for on-line
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:37:04 -0800

I'm reminded of the Einstein quote (I'm going to butcher it) that "things
should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Certainly online docs and hard docs have different capabilities as
information delivery tools, and while it is tempting to see the "limited"
scope of online docs as perscriptive of more limited or "reduced"
information, I can't help but wonder why this technology was developed if
it makes us LESS able to give readers what they need instead of more? Isn't
the point of Hypertext-type applications to allow for a more intuitive
accessibility? IOWs, a restructuring of info, not a reduction of info. So
the medium requires creative restructuring of our approach...so what? I've
personally "used" so much terse, vacuous, pointless online help that only
contains observations on the obvious that I rarely click on it anymore.
So usability studies say less text on the screen; doesn't that mean more
better screens? I know that most of you know better than to think that a
change of style equals a lessening of content, but this is what I often run
into and it annoys me to no end.
EOR (end of rant)
Julie