Re: Windows Interface Terminology

Subject: Re: Windows Interface Terminology
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:53:08 -0600

According to the Microsoft Manual of Style, you are correct to call them
"tabbed pages" -- they definitely are NOT screens....that's an old DOS
term, anyway, and refers to the entire window area of the monitor (back
in the days before MS Windows). You can find it in the Microsoft Manual
of Style on page 54.

I sometimes refer to them as the "tabbed dialog pages" -- hmmm.

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com

On Thursday, February 19, 1998 4:46 PM, Gail Gurman
[SMTP:gail -at- HOMEMAIL -dot- COM] wrote:
> As part of the Win95 interface, there are some dialog boxes that
> have what I call "pages"; that is, multiple screens of information,
> generally used for setting properties, accessed by tabs.
> As I said, I've been calling these things pages in documentation,
> but the new contract tech writer prefers "screens." I tried finding
> references in other docs (e.g., the FrameMaker manual) but couldn't
> find anything (Frame doesn't call them anything, as far as I can
> see.) So I said I'd write to this list and see what you all think.
> So, what's the verdict? Page? Screen? Something else?
> Thanks!
> --
> Gail Gurman | Email -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- -dot- gail -at- homemail -dot- com
> Technical Writer | Personal Web
> Wink Communications | Company Web Page......

Previous by Author: Re: Writing for on-line
Next by Author: Re: Dos and don'ts for R & D
Previous by Thread: Windows Interface Terminology
Next by Thread: Re: Windows Interface Terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads