THANKS: Programmers and Usability

Subject: THANKS: Programmers and Usability
From: Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- CHEBUCTO -dot- NS -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:09:34 -0400

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. It's been very
helpful, and I believe the question has been answered: usually,
programmers *do* care about usability. What rang most true for me was that:

-- Programmers look at problems based on what will work most efficiently
given a particular programming language and platform. Unfortunately it
means many have a hard time considering their work from the point of
view of a user who knows none of this.

-- Each programmer usually work[s] on [part of the software package].
It is understandably hard for them to see the forest when focusing on a
couple of trees.

-- Programmers are not necessarily GUI design experts -- and don't
necessarily get the proper direction, either.

I will definitely read "Close to the Machine" by Ellen Ullman.

All best,

Suzanne Townsend <ac158 -at- chebucto -dot- ns -dot- ca>