International HTML (long)

Subject: International HTML (long)
From: "Stamant, Kirk R" <stamankr -at- JMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:35:35 -0500

Hi all,

I have an international HTML question. Most current
web pages use HTML that is based on American English (e.g.,
HR = horizontal rule and CENTER = center this line or
item).

My question is, can web page programming be done in other
languages or with other, non-Roman characters? For
example, can one create French homepages using the French
language as the basis for coding (e.g., CENTRE for center
object) or can home pages be set up using Arabic, Japanese,
Chinese, Russian, Hebrew, or Greek scripts?

I guess to make a long question short, does an individual
need to use English words and Roman characters to set up a
home page?

Thanks for your help!

Kirk

--