Re: International HTML (long)

Subject: Re: International HTML (long)
From: "Zdunczyk, Ann Eleanor (Ann)" <zdunczyk -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:25:48 -0500

The short answer is yes. You must use the English spelling for
HTML tags since the DTD defines them that way. non-English chars
are represented by HTML(sgml) entities such as &ntilde; or the
8-bit char. The character set used for a particular page can be defined
by a META statement. Alis Technologies has a browser called Tango
that will supply the necessary fonts and keyboards for many-many
languages. That means you can use English Windows 95 and browser
non-English pages.


Ann Zdunczyk
Technical Support Specialist - JOAT
Lucent Technologies
ILT Solutions
zdunczyk -at- lucent -dot- com
Voice: (336)727-3782 (Area code changed from 910)
FAX: (336)727-3078
Pager: (336)748-7051

>From: Stamant, Kirk R[SMTP:stamankr -at- jmu -dot- edu]
>Reply To: stamankr -at- jmu -dot- edu
>Sent: Monday, March 16, 1998 2:35 PM
>Subject: International HTML (long)
>Hi all,
>I have an international HTML question. Most current
>web pages use HTML that is based on American English (e.g.,
>HR = horizontal rule and CENTER = center this line or
>My question is, can web page programming be done in other
>languages or with other, non-Roman characters? For
>example, can one create French homepages using the French
>language as the basis for coding (e.g., CENTRE for center
>object) or can home pages be set up using Arabic, Japanese,
>Chinese, Russian, Hebrew, or Greek scripts?
>I guess to make a long question short, does an individual
>need to use English words and Roman characters to set up a
>home page?
>Thanks for your help!
>Stamant, Kirk R
>stamankr -at- jmu -dot- edu

Previous by Author: Re: Translation problem?
Next by Author: Frame or Interleaf?
Previous by Thread: International HTML (long)
Next by Thread: Re: International HTML (long)

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads