Re: CBT vs. Stand up (long, but different)

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Stand up (long, but different)
From: Scott Gray <scotty -at- CM -dot- MATH -dot- UIUC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 19:05:03 -0600

What? Our schools are terrible. RE: The resent report that says that the
united states is the WORST in mathematics amoung some 27 or so tested
Countries!

Our schools are under the impression that if someone does what he/she
is told to do that they have learned something.

I think I am paraphrasing your argument here:

"There are some people who learn better sitting on their ass and watching
someone else".

No Way. The different types of learners argument has always been a
copout when it comes to learning things like mathematics. They say:

"if we can only minimize the amount that a student has to think but
still have them perform a set of particular tasks then we have been
successful".

Learning should involve much more than the ability to perform tasks.
They should be also able to create tasks to perform.

Scott