Re[2]: SACRED COWS

Subject: Re[2]: SACRED COWS
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:08:20 -0600

I do both and I think it is easier to teach programming than
writing. Now I am trying to decide/explain why I feel
this way.

I have always been a writer.

You've answered your own question, Janet. Writing comes easy to you, while
you had to work at learning to program. Because you had to work at it, you
know the steps involved, intimately. OTOH, because you sailed through the
steps to writing (you came through many of them while you were perhaps too
young to have noticed them, even) you don't have as familiar a grasp of
those steps.

Hence it's easier for you to teach programming than writing.

It's a well known phenomenon. To use the omnipresent sports analogies,
great players make lousy coaches.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224