TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Result: Q about tables and compatibility From:Ian Ferguson <IanFe -at- ATTACHMATE -dot- COM> Date:Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:19:14 -0700
Forgive me if this doesn't address something posted today. I
accidentally deleted my digest.
Thanks to all who replied to my question about tables. I learned a
First thing I was doing wrong was that the width of my table and the
width of all the cells (including the cell padding) didn't equal each
other, and so the browsers had room for interpretation, and of course
they interpreted differently.
Second thing I learned was that I tended to get unpredictable results
in MS Internet Explorer (IE) if my table didn't have a border. You can
set the border to "1" and add bordercolor="white" but then in Netscape
Navigator (NN) the border shows up because NN doesn't understand the
Anyhow, I resolved the problem of the text not lining up with the
graphic, but splitting the graphic into pieces, and putting those
pieces into cells of their own. That worked well. Thanks again for
Technical Writer, Attachmate Corporation
ianfe -at- attachmate -dot- com