Re: telephone number formats

Subject: Re: telephone number formats
From: Dave Scott <dscott -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 07:45:02 -0700

In Europe (and more and more in Canada), telephone numbers are written as
follows:

+countrycode.regioncode.subscribernumber

The plus symbol indicates that everything to the right of the plus is the
actual recipient telephone number. Anything to the left of the plus sign
relates to the international dialing procedures which vary from country to
country. For example, when in France, one dials 00 for an international
line, then the full phone number. Written out in documentation, this can
be written 00+1.604.555.1212

The subscriber number format varies by country. In Canada and the US
(country code 1), it is a 3 digit number area code followed by a separator
character, then a 3 digit exchange prefix, another separator character and
a final 4 digits. For example, +1.604.555.1212

In France, the phone numbers are all 10 digits in length, broken up into
sets of two digits. For example, +33.01.36.11.50.50

Again, in Europe and increasingly in Canada, the period is used as the
separator. In the U.S., the dash is used.

That's all I know folks. If there is something official, I'd sure like to
know where it is.
-d

----------
Every man has two nations, and one of them is France. -Benjamin Franklin
Vive la France. Vive le Canada

Dave Scott
mailto:dscott -at- ibm -dot- net

From: Schrank, Kelly (TAMPA) <schrank -at- TAMPA -dot- GENPHYSICS -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Date: 27 May, 1998 07:13

From what I've seen in dealing with other countries, there are no
dashes, just spaces between.

For example:

03 98 76 54

03 being country code
98, 76, and 54 being the rest of the phone number