Re: Exporting FrameMaker to Word7

Subject: Re: Exporting FrameMaker to Word7
From: Dave Swenson <Dave_Swenson -at- TRENDMICRO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 17:25:05 -0700

Here's how I do it (improvements, refinements are welcome):

1. In Frame 5.5, save as RTF rather than Word, as the conversion is most
accurate. (This can be slow. For a chapter with 20 or so graphic it took my
Pentium 166 about 30-40 min. to grind out the .rtf.).

By the way, embedded graphics are no problem, however you may need to batch
convert all the Illustrator formats to .emf, .bmp, .jpg or something that
Word will recognize.

2. Open the first chapter, then use Word's import file to add each chapter
to the first chapter, saving often (keep as rtf).

3. Still in word, search & replace all manual line feeds

4. Save the entire file as Word file, using Microsoft's free converter to
save up from Word 95 to Word 97 format if necessary.

5. Wha La. You're done.

As for Frame-->PageMaker, just give up now. Really. I mean it. Drop it and
run as fast as you can in any direction . (I've asked Adobe many times for a
tool to go back and forth between, but they have nothing. I've done it
before, but, sorry, I forget how. I just remember is was a very unpleasant
task.)

P.S., this is all relative to WinTel. I don't know Mac.

Best Regards,

David Swenson
Technical Writer
Trend Micro, Inc.
Tel: (408) 863-6342
Email: david_swenson -at- trendmicro -dot- com
Check your hard drive for viruses: http://housecall.antivirus.com