Problem Printing HTML

Subject: Problem Printing HTML
From: Matt Danda <mdanda2 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 06:02:09 -0700

Hello all:

Does anyone have text cut from an HTML document when it's sent to a
laser printer?

This occurs to us when using either Netscape or IE4. Our HTML
documents use plain paragraphs and headings...no special formatting
whatsoever.

I've tried a variety of solutions, like changing the font sizes,
inserting the text into a relatively narrow table, and fiddling with
the wide array of Page Setup parameters, including margins.

But I must be missing something, because I don't have trouble printing
an HTML page from a site like Microsoft's. Their formatted text
layouts get transferred to paper just fine. But when I print a
document from our simple, homegrown intranet, the text is cut off. And
don't even mention what the laser printer does to formatted HTML tables!

We have been working so darn hard to move to HTML for source documents
(as opposed to Word)...but we keep running into one problem after
another. Now, if we can't even get our browsers to properly format
print jobs, well...thats a problem.

I've looked into cascading style sheets, and W3C has some solutions to
HTML printing in the works, but right now all I want to do is have my
browser send a simple HTML document to the laser printer without
losing text!

Does anyone know why or how or what is happening?

Many thanks,

==
Matthew Danda
Technical Writer in Software Development
http://host2.fptoday.com/danda
Orlando, Florida