PDF problems

Subject: PDF problems
From: Michael Burke <miburke -at- WSICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 10:49:46 -0500

Hello --

I am being told something I find rather dubious, so I was wondering if
any one else has seen this problem.

One of our clients has an operating system for which Adobe has no
version of Reader. One of the UNIX Solaris formats, I believe. They
are using a non-Reader pdf interpreter XPDF. At least I think it is a
non-Reader .pdf interpreter.

They say can read a .pdf manual that was created through the Save As
PDF function in FrameMaker. But they cannot read a .pdf manual I
created by first creating a .ps file and running the .ps file through
Distiller. They get errors that will not allow them to open the .pdf.

Is it that the FrameMaker-generated .pdf file is different than the
.pdf created directly through Distiller? Perhaps there's some header
info that allows XPDF able to read the files?

Or is it just a coincidence?

Has anyone had any experience with XPDF who might know what is going
on?

Thanks.

Michael Burke
Technical Writer