Re: PDF problems

Subject: Re: PDF problems
From: "Pilipovich, Kathleen" <Kathleen -dot- Pilipovich-1 -at- KMAIL -dot- KSC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:32:35 -0400

> Is it that the FrameMaker-generated .pdf file is different
> than the .pdf created directly through Distiller? Perhaps
> there's some header info that allows XPDF able to read
> the files? Or is it just a coincidence? Has anyone had
> any experience with XPDF who might know what is
> going on?

Michael,

I couple of years ago, we had similar problems. We use
Frame on a Unix platform and our developers use DEC Alphas.
One of our Unix gurus did some troubleshooting. I can't
remember the exact details, but I think it had something to
do with the encryption or compression in the Distiller.
Unfortunately, we never found a resolution. We were stuck
until Adobe released Acrobat Reader for DEC Alphas. After
switching to Acrobat Reader and the problem disappeared.
I know that doesn't help you any. I did a web search on xpdf
and found:

http://www.aimnet.com/~derekn/xpdf/xpdf.html

I hope this page has some info that may help you. If not,
maybe you could email Derek.

Kathy Pilipovich
United Space Alliance
407-861-7723, USK-252