Apprenticeships

Subject: Apprenticeships
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <mikeuhl -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 15:56:45 -0400

Esteemed Colleagues:

I started my career in 1987 as an apprentice science/technical writer in
Buffalo, NY. I was paid $6/hr for three months before my salary was raised to
$17,000/yr. That $6/hr covered only the first 40 hours in a week. I worked,
typically, 70 hours per week. Yes, I was paid minimum wage, effectively, but I
loved writing and getting paid for it. I was a video script writer and science
writer on some very interesting projects. I met very interesting people and the
video crew I worked with had an expense account. Within seven months of
starting, I left that company for a computer company and my salary went to
$19,000/year. In a depressed Buffalo economy, I was doing quite well.

I'd probably get into trouble if I stated my actual salary now, but let me say
that when I moved to Research Triangle Park, NC in 1991, my salary almost
doubled and it rose steadily since then, and I still do very interesting work.

Apprenticeships are a very good idea. If someone wants to be a technical writer
badly enough, he or she can use an apprenticeship to learn and establish a
professional reputation.

Cheers.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:mikeuhl -at- mindspring -dot- com)
Ph. 919.541.4283 (W); 919.544.0951 (H)

Bonnie Granat wrote:

> George Mena wrote:
> >
> > Starting out as an apprentice! There's a concept! :D
> >
> > It's good enough for electricians, plumbers, carpenters, machinists and
> > many other honorable trades.
> >
> > It's also good enough for tech writers -- but I say that only because I
> > apprenticed after earning my journalism degree from college. And even
> > then, it helped a lot to have worked for the hometown newspaper while
> > going to school.
> >
> > TW programs in college need to work with other apprenticeship programs,
> > especially ones offering on-the-job training, but that's just my
> > opinion. :D
> >

> As a mid-life career changer who's been an
> "intern" for one year, I certainly agree with
> you. This last year has been a wonderful addition
> to my two years of study in a master's technical
> writing program. To say that I have learned an
> incredible amount in the last year would be like
> saying the Empire State Building is a highrise.
> What I have gained from being an apprentice/intern
> is absolutely incalculable.
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=