Re: Compensation in Dallas

Subject: Re: Compensation in Dallas
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 09:25:10 -0500

Did anyone else find these salaries to be w-a-a-a-y low? I am a member
of the Lone Star Chapter and this is the first I've seen this particular
survey (yeah, that's my problem...it's been available, I'm sure). Since
it's from Feb 97 (nearly a year and a half ago), that might explain some
of the results, but the tech writers in our chapter that I've talked to
seem to be doing better than this survey indicates. I hear contractors
"bragging" of six-figure salaries (definitely not me, though!) and see
nothing of that reflected in this survey. Our chapter is over 700
members and only 156 responded to this survey....which skews it
considerably, I suppose.

Have other chapters done surveys? If so, did you find them to be fairly
reflective of the REAL situation, or were they higher or lower than
expected? I would hate to go job hunting with this survey in hand. It
would tend to work against us, I think. Has anyone else got some RECENT
salary survey URLs? Most of the ones I've seen have not had enough
respondents or have not really considered tech writer info (they were
just for programmers, other IS professionals).

And folks, if asked to respond to a survey, please DO IT! A good salary
survey could mean the difference between getting a raise or getting a
decent beginning salary.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.