Re: Does learning get in the way? (was: Teaching without seeming to teach!, which was: Lowest Common Denominator/Reading to Learn)

Subject: Re: Does learning get in the way? (was: Teaching without seeming to teach!, which was: Lowest Common Denominator/Reading to Learn)
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:10:36 -0700

We are all users of various products. How do we learn to use the product?

When I get a new piece of software, for example, I run through the tutorial
if the interface is not *real* intuitive. It give me a general idea of how
the thing works. After that, I pop open the help screens as I need them to
figure out what I'm supposed to do.

IMHO we should keep the tutorials and the help screens separate. A good
tutorial is essential (at first) then help screens give clear reminders of
what we forgot on didn't learn well.

Save the wizards to automate routine operations.

My $0.02

John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=