Re: Interview questions (maybe gettin' off topic?)

Subject: Re: Interview questions (maybe gettin' off topic?)
From: Sharon McLeod <Sharon -dot- McLeod -at- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:38:08 -0700

If you're interested in the eye movement stuff, you might like to know more
about NLP (neuro-linguistic programming). Take a look at the books, "Frogs
Into Princes" and "A Suprano on Her Head". I don't remember the author, but
I do remember that the direction of eye movements and perception
preferences (visual, auditory, and kinesthetic) were explained quite well
in these books.

---------------------- Forwarded by Sharon McLeod/Radisys_Corporation/US on
09/21/98 03:39 PM ---------------------------
> Jane Bergen [janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET] asked, among other things:
>
> >But what ARE some good questions to ask during a Technical
> >Communicator interview?

And Bob Johnson replied:
> One thing he told me... is that biggest trend in interviewing is
> "behavior-based interviewing."
> Some examples might be "Tell me about a time when you had to complete a
> project, but
> were not getting cooperation from a SME."

Barry replies:
These behavior-based questions do a few quick and dirty things:
When asked a question, always an open-ended question, there is involuntary
eye movement that is truly involuntary; that is, even people born blind
exhibit this involuntary eye movement.
When people are "remembering" a Scenario in the past they will briefly look
up and to the right.
When people are "creating" a scenario they look down and to the left or
right.

Test it on someone you know well; ask them to make up a small lie when
answering your question: and watch the eyes.
Also behavior-based questions are searching for the so-called "blip". When
you ask a question like Bob listed above, look for a "blip" in eye contact.
It is hard to explain (even for this experienced tech writer) but easy to
see.
When you see the blip, follow up that question with a question that may
drill down deeper. For example, the person "blips" when they talk about how
the SME "Blew them off". OK, now ask them: "How do you react to people who
are not accessible?"
Please scold, admonish, and flame me off-line so Eric does not cyber-smack
me - I will print a retraction if one is warranted (but that rarely ever
happens!)
IMNSHO!
Barry Kieffer
Opinions?! - Oh! I got a few...