The "Ethics" of job hunting

Subject: The "Ethics" of job hunting
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:57:40 -0700

First: How many managers quibble about ethics when they're about to fire
you? Personal attachments aside, you're just another commodity for
business. This is business, not personal, Mr. Corleone...

So I say hunt for another job all you want. If nothing else that
alternative job is your BATNA (Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement)
in salary negotiations. If you don't have a BATNA, you don't have a
prayer. Personally, without a BATNA (and about six month's expenses in
savings) I think you're inviting abuse (but hey, what do I know?)...

The ethics bit really is more connected to keeping your promises. If
you promised to stay on the job for nine months, don't quit early. The
implied promise that I respect is that I won't leave my managers in the
lurch. I will give them more than adequate notice, and will work up to
the very last minute I'm there. If I like them well enough, and can
sincerely do so, I'll even help recruit my replacement. There's some Bob
Dylan quote about having to be honest if you live outside the law that
may be relevant here, but you get the idea.

--
Regards,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=