Drop Caps in FrameMaker

Subject: Drop Caps in FrameMaker
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- ZKS -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:04:43 -0500

Greetings all,

I have been looking for information on how to create a drop cap
automatically in FrameMaker (v. 5.5). I searched the TECHWR-L and FrameUsers
archives with very limited results. I have created a character format that
increases the size of the selected character, but I am not keen on the
results and I would rather have the style automatically assigned, since it
will be a recurring element in the document.

I was wondering if my learned contemporaries would be able to assist me with
the two following issues:

1) Are there guidelines for creating drop caps? (MS MoS had no mention of
drop caps and Frame's online help doesn't deal with creation, just
alignment)

2) Is there a way to create a paragraph style in FrameMaker that applies a
drop cap format to the first letter of the paragraph?

I am not planning to begin each paragraph with a drop cap, but I am looking
at drop capping the paragraph that summarises the chapter's subject matter.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Paul
Paul "RTFM Guy" Branchaud (paul -at- zks -dot- net)
Lead Technical Writer, Zero-Knowledge Systems, Inc.

I'm guessing, but I'd say his brain waves crash a little short of the beach.
-- Cornfed

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000