Identifying Tables in Manuals

Subject: Identifying Tables in Manuals
From: Deborah Cooper <dcooper -at- INSTEPMOBILE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:04:47 -0800

I'm debating a situation in my office: when you include a table
in your document, do you refer to the table in the text as "the
following table" and then center the table in the middle of the
page with its caption centered under the table or,

Refer to the table in the text as "Table 1-1" and center the table
in the middle of the page with its caption above the table.

What is the standard for this? Many thanks and have a super
weekend!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=