Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:54:58 -0700

This question comes up regularly, so you'll find lots of answers in the
archive. What you use will depend on your usage. In telecommunications, it
is technically called an octothorpe (or so an engineer instructor told me in
a telecomm class long ago).

Number sign and pound sign seem more common.

How about checking some typing textbooks and see what it is called when
referring to that particular symbol on the keyboard?

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Vicki Schmitz [SMTP:schmitz -at- POSITRON -dot- NET]
> Sent: Sunday, November 22, 1998 11:41 AM
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Technical name for the #?
> Can anyone tell me what the precise name for the # symbol is and it's
> most commonly used name? I have heard it called the pound, the hash,
> the number sign, and the octothorpe.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: Referring to HTML tags in documentation
Next by Author: How to Publish a Great User Manual
Previous by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?
Next by Thread: Re: Technical name for the #?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads