Re: Technical name for the #?

Subject: Re: Technical name for the #?
From: Niki Dow <NikiDow -at- RINGWOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:59:02 -0000

Hi,

I think it may depend on which country you're in. I know it as a hash
symbol (in the UK). It isn't (normally) known as the number symbol inthe UK
since it isn't used to identify digits (e.g, #5, #141 etc.) we usually use
the abbreviation No. (e.g., No. 5).

I've heard it called the pound sign which I equate to the fact that I think
that on some keyboards it is positioned in the Shift 3 position which is
where our pound (sterling currency) symbol is located.

Hope this helps and doesn't hinder!
Niki